Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Starting to really skim

Finished skimming #7. I'm pretty familiar with all of these communication tools. E-mail, of course is ancient history at this point and I use folders regularly to manage my content. I found the efficiency hints not particularly helpful as they seemed to be basic common sense. IM has its definite advantages, but the longer we have been using it among our staff, the more it has started to seem like yet another stressor at the ref desk--telephone ringing, patrons lining up and multiple IM indicators blinking at you. Actually, that situation doesn't occur that often, but IM can feel like just one more avenue toward a single destination that is subject to overload. Basically, though, I wouldn't go back. It is a very handy tool for the quick check with someone. I've had little experience with webinars. One that I participated in was particularly useless, but it was a commercial source and I think it was poorly presented. I watched the text your librarian video and could see how this would be popular with young people. Again, though--another avenue to one source.
Okay--I have to stop now. Will is waiting to discuss Pride & Prejudice with me.

No comments: